Thursday, December 1, 2011

Winning at Walgreen's

On Saturday's Saving the Moola post, I shared the beginnings of my journey of playing the drugstore game and a brief tutorial. You can read my post of this here.

Jason and I have an additional tradition to our Sunday routine now, which involves shopping at CVS, enjoying a breakfast meal together at this awesome diner in Holly (so good and cheap; we pay $10 total including about a 25% tip!!!), then finish our shopping trip by stopping by Walgreen's (Jason and I are choosing not to share our CVS experiences at this time, since shopping at CVS is relatively simple. Walgreen's has much stricter rules so we felt it would be more beneficial to share our journey there with all of you).

On Sunday, I had $9 in Register Rewards (RR) for my purchase ($4, $3 and $2 RR coupons). I had looked through the ad on Saturday and thought I knew what I would get, but not every Walgreen's stocks the same items so I didn't actually get everything I thought I would. Here's what we picked up:


The Mission Foot Rehab Cream was on sale for $5.99 with $6 back in RR. The Life Cereal was on sale for two boxes for $5 (which, by the way, is a horrible deal; cereal is generally cheapest at Aldi), with $2 back in RR, which made it $1.50 a box. This is a terrific deal, as I generally pay about $1.60 a box for cereal at Aldi. I used all of my RR, and my total out-of-pocket costs, including tax, was $2.35. I also got back a total of $8 in RR to use on my next purchase.

Last week, my total price per item was $1.70. My goal is to eventually lower this to less than $1. My price per item this week fell to $1.51. That's awesome! I'm so excited and can't wait to see next week's ad.

I'd love to hear if any of you are starting this journey with me or have been on this journey for awhile and have wise words to share.

1 comment:

Carlye Jean Rankin said...

Great job! I have been stocked up pretty well from playing the drugstore game. My fave store was Rite Aid but our stores changed and don't have the same deals. Walgreens became my big stock up store. You are very smart by starting small then working your way up.

I read southernsavers.com and wildforwags.com because they give you deal scenarios to work with. It made it so much easier for me. hth