Saturday, December 17, 2011

This Book Room: a week of books I love!

Narnia . . . where giants wreak havoc . . . where evil weaves a spell . . . where enchantment rules. Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, a noble band of friends are sent to rescue a prince held captive. But their mission to Underland brings them face-to-face with an evil more beautiful and more deadly than they ever expected.

Additional notes: This is the sixth book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. You can read my review of the fifth book here.

My thoughts: This is one of my favorite Narnia stories ever, as I think it really captures the idea that if you let evil in your life, it's quite hard to break the chains of it, quite literally.

It is the summer of 1838 in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri, and Molly McGarvie's life is about to change forever. When her beloved Samuel succumbs to cholera, Molly is heartbroken but determined to take care of herself and her children. But when Samuel's unscrupulous brother takes over the family business and leaves Molly to fend for herself, she knows she must head out on her own. It is a dangerous journey and Molly has to leave her old life behind. Somehow she must find a way to make a living, keep her family together, and fend off some over-eager suitors. Book one in the At Home in Beldon Grove series, The Edge of Light will captivate readers with the true-to-life emotions of one woman's struggle to survive.

Additional notes: This is the first book in the Beldon Grove series. The second and third books have been released, and so far as I know, this series is ongoing.

My thoughts: Can I just first say that I love this book? There's no even real hint of a romance in it (even though technically, Molly finds love, but that's so not even what this book is about so that doesn't count). I empathized with Miss Molly so much! It seemed like everything that could go wrong did, and she finds the will within herself to never give up hope, even if others think she is crazy.

What would happen if you were visited by your younger self, and got a chance for a do-over?

Alice Love is twenty-nine years old, madly in love with her husband, and pregnant with their first child. So imagine her surprise when, after a fall, she comes to on the floor of a gym (a gym! she HATES the gym!) and discovers that she's actually thirty-nine, has three children, and is in the midst of an acrimonious divorce.

A knock on the head has misplaced ten years of her life, and Alice isn't sure she likes who she's become. It turns out, though, that forgetting might be the most memorable thing that has ever happened to Alice.


My thoughts: OMG, this book was awesome! I was so in love with Alice and her plight. She wakes up, thinking it's ten years earlier, and even though in real life, her and her husband are divorcing, she, thinking it's ten years earlier, is madly in love with him and doesn't understand what could be so bad that they're divorcing. I'm not on the brink of divorce (quite the opposite actually!), but it makes me remember how I used to be in such lurve with Jason (lurve is my word for crazy love). And, if I ever were on the brink of divorce, I would force myself to read this again. And in fact, if I ever hear of anyone on the brink of divorce, I will force them to read this book. A fantastical read. Funny, light, strong. YUM!

According to author Lysa TerKeurst, craving isn't a bad thing, but we must realize God created us to crave so we'd ultimately desire more of Him in our lives. Many of us have misplaced that craving, overindulging in physical pleasures instead of lasting spiritual satisfaction. For a woman struggling with unhealthy eating habits, Made to Crave will equip her to:
* Break the 'I'll start again Monday cycle' and start feeling good about herself today
* Stop beating herself up over the numbers on the scale and make peace with the body you've been given
* Discover how weight loss struggles aren't a curse but, rather, a blessing in the making
* Replace justifications that lead to diet failure with empowering go-to scripts that lead to victory
* Eat healthy without feeling deprived
* Reach a healthy weight goal while growing closer to God through the process


My thoughts: You know what I loved about this book? The fact that it's not even about food. I never even thought of the fact that I crave reading, I crave smoothies, I crave cuddles with Preston, etc. etc. I have so many cravings, and for things that may not be beneficial for me, I need to turn that craving to God. Every morning, I crave God - I read my Bible, I read my daily devotional, and right now, I'm also reading the Power of a Praying Wife. Later in the day, when I'm feeling a void, I'm teaching myself to re-turn to the Bible for additional time with God, bowing my head and giving myself up to God, you name it. I really recommend this book for anyone who suffers from a lack of self control and seeks affection and love where one should not seek it.

Garfield believes in living life to the fullest. No easy task for a cat with a bottomless stomach. In this latest collection of comics, the fat cat with the legendary appetite treats himself to seconds, thirds, fourths, and fifths and proves that anything worth eating is worth overeating.

Additional notes: You can read my review of the series and read quick summaries and view cover pics here. There are a total of 52 books released as of this writing. This series is ongoing.

My thoughts: What isn't to love? Garfield cracks me up. Every book, every comic strip, every time.

No comments: