Saturday, December 17, 2011

Saving the Moola: couponing and learning with RecycleBank is fun and easy


If you're a reader of my In My Mailbox series, you know that I get Whole Living and Every Day Food magazines for free as part of year-long subscriptions I received through RecycleBank. I'm a huge, huge fan of this website and would highly recommend this as a fun tool to anyone who wants to coupon and/or get freebies to some degree.

My family doesn't subscribe to a newspaper, and because of this, I don't have access to coupon inserts. I'm quite okay with this, as I'm not sure I have the time or energy to coupon to that degree. But I enjoy using coupons when I can and when it's easy for me. Printable coupons are the best way I've found that I can include couponing as part of my money-saving techniques but still have plenty of time for actually living. That's where RecycleBank comes into play.

I first learned of RecycleBank from moneysavingmom.com, and I sincerely hope you give it a chance. Here's how it works:
  • You can sign up for an account here.
  • Once you're signed up, click on "Earn Points."
  • Earning points is super simple, fun and informative! For instance, through the Aveeno earning opportunity, you pledge to do three green actions (like holding onto your cell phone an extra six months instead of immediately upgrading after two or one years). Pledging to do all three actions will earn you 50 points. Other earning opportunities include quizzes and entering recycle codes from Kashi cereal boxes and more.
  • After earning points, check out "Get Rewards."
  • Rewards include such items as coupons, magazine subscriptions, gift cards and more. My favorite reward ever is the Kashi coupon for $2 off any one item. I love to use this on Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal. I can get a box of this cereal for $1.18 with the coupon! That's insanely awesome. Then, I turn around enter the code from inside the box on RecycleBank.com to get 50 RecycleBank points. Other awesome coupons include free smoothies at McDonald's and free mailed magazine subscriptions. For minimal effort each month, you can get tons of rewards - that's the best part!
I usually check in with RecycleBank about once a month and typically have about 500 points in my account, even after ordering rewards. The time to invest in this website is minimal for what you get back, and completing the earn opportunities with your children could be a great way for them to learn about the environment.

Share with us: Are you a member of RecycleBank? What is your favorite reward?

No comments: