Saturday, November 26, 2011

This Book Room

A wall went up around Alex Brady's heart when his father, a New York firefighter, died in the Twin Towers. Turning his back on the only woman he ever loved, Alex shut out all the people who cared about him to concentrate on fighting crime. He and his trusty K9 partner, Bo, are determined to eliminate evil in the world and prevent tragedies like 9-11. Then the worst fire season in California's history erupts, and Alex faces the ultimate challenge to protect the community he serves. An environmental terrorist group is targeting the plush Oak Canyon Estates. At the risk of losing his job, and his soul, Alex is determined to infiltrate the group and put an end to their corruption. Only the friendship of Clay and Jamie Michaels—and the love of a dedicated young woman—can help Alex drop the walls around his heart and move forward into the future God has for him.

Additional notes: This is the third and final book in the 9/11 series. You can read my review of the first book here and the second book here. This book was actually titled Remember Tuesday Morning (or at least, the version I read of it was), but on goodreads.com, the book is shown as Every Now and Then.

My thoughts: This book's message was really powerful and something I struggle with a lot - letting go of your life and what you think needs to be done to allow God to show you what you need. I want to control everything in my life, but that's now how God wants it - He is the controller, He's the one mapping it out and if I'm getting in the way, I'm losing out on not only what God has planned for me (which is always so much better than my plans) but I'm also losing out on loving Him as much as I can. Great book!

Kelli London once dreamed of being a songwriter. As crazy as it seemed, she hoped that God would use the lyrics that came to her while she slept. She dreamed about Brian too, that the love they shared would be a forever kind of love. But choices she'll forever regret upended her hope . . . and turned her dreams to dust. When those dreams come knocking once more, she's forced to deal with the pain of the past. Heather Anderson's life has spun out of control-first, an affair with a married man, then a one-night stand with the drummer of a popular Christian band that left her devastated. Broken and alone, she cried out to the only One who can save her. And He did. But that's just the beginning, because now she must leave behind the only life she's ever known. Two women with shame-filled pasts form an unlikely friendship. What does God's forgiveness look like for them? Will they ever believe that He loves them . . . and can still offer them a life where they are cherished?

Additional notes: This is Kim Cash Tate's second book and contains the same characters from her first book, Faithful. Each book can absolutely be read stand-alone as most series books can be, but I would highly recommend reading Faithful first. You can read my review of Faithful here.

My thoughts: I enjoyed Kim's first book, Faithful, more, but this book was still great. The characters felt a little cliched, and the story line didn't feel as unique and powerful.

As a spokeswoman on behalf of abused and battered women, Mary Madison seems to have no equal. Affluent and respected, she moves with ease in the corridors of power. Beneath her dignified reserve, though, lurks a secret that threatens her image and her peace. Only one great, redeeming love can save her.

My thoughts: This book was ah-mazing. Change-my-life kind of awesome. I will never, ever forget this book. Everyone in the world needs to read this book. I wish I would've read this a teen, when I struggled with confusing affection from others as love. Please read this and tell me your own thoughts. I would love to hear from you!!!

Settling in to her new life in Canaan, Colorado, Katie Ann Stoltzfus gives birth  to a beautiful baby boy. The boy's father - her estranged husband - died before their son is born. Despite his infidelities, Ivan was her one true love. She mourns his loss, vows never to trust another man, and resolves to fill the role of both mother and father to her son. Then Eli Detweiler arrives in Canaan from Middlefield, Ohio, to attend his niece's wedding. He's been raising his kids alone in Middlefield since his wife's death fifteen years ago. Now each child is married, so Eli looks forward to living a less-structured life-and eating shoofly pie for breakfast every morning. There's no one to care for except himself. When a meddling-but good-hearted-Englisch woman plays matchmaker for Katie Ann and Eli, they find themselves facing an unexpected, hopeful future…brought together by God's wondrous love.

Additional notes: This is the second (and newest) book in the Land of Canaan series. You can read my review of the first book here.

My thoughts: First off, I was so pleased when I won this book (you can read details of that here) because Beth is so nice and a great author. I love Amish Christian stories, although at times, they can be a bit cliched. I was really looking forward to this book because Katie Ann is in many of Beth's books, and let's just say, her life hasn't been easy. Beth certainly gave Katie Ann a very happy ending, and the plot was well thought out, especially in terms of how the whole Lucy situation played out.

A voyage to the very ends of the world. Narnia... where a dragon awakens... where stars walk the earth... where anything can happen. A king and some unexpected companions embark on a voyage that will take them beyond all known lands. As they sail father and farther from charted waters, they discover that their quest is more than they imagined and that the world's end is only the beginning.

Additional notes: This is the fifth book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. There are seven books in this series, and all have been released.

My thoughts: In all honesty, this is one of my least favorite of the Narnia books. I had read the first four some years ago and am wrapping up my list of books that I ever wanted to read in my lifetime. I did see the movie of this book first, which may have aided in my un-liking of this book. I would definitely still recommend reading the entire series, but I think you'll find this book is lacking a bit.

No comments: