Jess and I recently bought ourselves a new Christmas tree, as our old and cheap one just wasn't cutting it anymore. We went to Begick's when they were having a big sale, and they were offering refreshments to the first few shoppers that showed up in the morning. Needless to say, Jess and I were the first there. Part of the refreshments were these yummy little cookies that were so good. They were obviously homemade and not just purchased off the shelf at Wal-Mart. When we asked the cashier about them, she directed us to the recipe and offered to sell us the main ingredient (a fruitcake bar). We bought two bars (enough to make four batches) and actually debated another bar. We made the cookies for our Thanksgiving feast and they turned out splendidly, getting a good review from both of Jess's parents.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 lb. fruitcake, cut up into little pieces
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, oil and rum flavoring in a mixing bowl.
- Mix until well blended.
- Fold in fruitcake pieces.
- Form into balls about the size of a walnut and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (ours took closer to 12) or until brown.
- Do not over bake.