This recipe needed a little tweaking as the original recipe took me almost 2 full hours to make. For a grilled cheese sandwich, that is just a little bonkers. The unaltered original recipe can be found in Cook This Not That!: Easy and Awesome 350-Calorie Meals (pages 112 and 305).
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 8 slices bread
- butter, softened (about 2 Tbsp)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Heat a saute pan over high heat.
- Add olive oil and onions.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring two or three times.
- Add the onions and cook for about 4 more minutes, stirring regularly.
- Butter each slice of bread.
- Put the bread in stacks of 2 with buttered sides facing in.
- On top of each stack, put 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Top this with 1/4 of the onion and mushroom mixture.
- Finish with another 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat (you don't want to get this too hot or the outside of your sandwich will darken too much).
- Add just the top slice of bread from the stack (with all the toppings on top of it) buttered side down to the skillet.
- Take the remaining piece of bread and put it on top of the filling buttered side up.
- Cook for 4 minutes(ish) flipping once halfway through.