Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homemade: Body Wash

Body wash is my preferred cleansing agent, and here's why: 1. A bar of soap often doesn't last as long as it should, on account of the water hitting it while it's in the shower and not necessarily in use. 2. A bar of soap in a container often develops an ucky film on the bottom of it.

But body wash, store-bought, can be expensive. My favorite brand is Nivea and for about 18 oz., the cost is $4 (not on sale). Usually, I have a coupon for this that at least halves the price, but we're still talking $2 for 18 oz. The cost is 11 cents per ounce.

With this homemade body wash, for 36 oz, the cost is about $1. Per ounce, the cost is about 3 cents. That's a huge savings! This homemade solution is super easy, too. Here's what you need to make homemade body wash:


  • 2 cups grated soap (I used 1.5 bars of soap)
  • 2 Tbsp. glycerin
Directions
  • Grate soap.
  • In a pot with 64 oz. of water, melt the soap.
  • While still on the burner, add glycerin. Stir.
  • Pour mixture into Mason jars or other containers.
  • Let the containers sit, without moving them, for about 24 hours. The mixture will thicken up considerably.
Here's what the finished product looks like:



You can use any bar of soap you like. I used Dial soap that I purchased in bulk for Sam's Club. The cost per bar was about 40 cents. You can also add essential oil to this homemade solution if your bar is fragrance free and you would prefer a fragrance or to create your own fragrance. I did not add any oil to mine, though - the Dial soap smells really good! You can refill old body wash containers with this body wash.

14 comments:

Ms. Jones said...

I just made this tonight. So easy! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I did halve the recipe, though. Don't think it will affect it. If it's a problem, I'll let you know.

Jess and Jason said...

Awesome! I'm glad you're trying it.

Ms. Jones said...

So. I tried the body wash, but I'm not sure if it turned out quite right. It's -- for lack of a better explanation -- snotty feeling. I made it for my teenage son, and he said it feels like he's washing himself with a giant loogie. What did I do wrong?

HELP!
Thanks!

Jess and Jason said...

Mine turned out a little bit that way - very slimey. It still worked, though, but to alleviate some of the slimey feel, try mixing up 3 parts of body wash to 1part of water. That might help :)

Ashley said...

Glycerin as used here might give the soap richer feel, which would be nice for dry skin. I haven't tried that.
I made a similar recipe (adapted from one on Pinterest) the other day...I grated a castile soap bar, covered with water, let it sit about 36 hours, added extra water as needed, and hit it with a handheld mixer to smooth it out. It's an "all-in-one" soap, so it could be used as body wash. You can make it thicker or thinner, depending on the extra water that you add. Mine is a little thin, because I was trying to stretch the yield of the recipe, but I ended up with 47 oz from just one bar of soap!

Anonymous said...

I've made a similiar recipe and it came out gloppy and slimey. So i used my mixer on it to smooth it out. Going to try less water next time and maybe less glycerin? Hoping it will make it thicker. Used lavender bar soap and it does smell lovely. Keeping this batch for a handsoap.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of trying this I get the olay bars of soap al lthe time for free wit ha coupon and have about 30 of them right now. How much is glyceri nwhere do u find it etc. Is it really time consuming and can you use this for soap for your hand refills to or is that different?

Liz H. said...

Hi, I'm new to making things homemade and I was wondering where to buy the glycerin. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

@ Liz H.
You can find the glycerin at Walmart or any other drug store. It is labeled as Glycerin USP Skin protectant. If you ask the pharmacist or someone who works there, make sure to tell them it is liquid glycerin skin protectant or they will direct you to the suppositories.

Anonymous said...

If you want this to be an organic recipe or harsh chemical free, I'd recommend using castile soap. Dr. bronner's brand, Mrs. Meyers brand, Kiss My Face, and other organic brands would all work well. Of course they'd be more expensive, but that is the norm for organic.

Anonymous said...

How can this be stored?

Anonymous said...

I made this exactly how it said to make it, using Dove soap but it didn't thicken for some reason?? Would you happen to know where I went wrong??

Erin Baker said...

I just found your recipe and am making it right now. Thank you very much! I am using goats milk soap because I was given several bars of that. Blessings ~

Erin Baker said...

Thank you for sharing your soap recipe!