Most parents of human children prefer to be given gifts that can be used with their children, for their children, on their children - I think you're starting to get the idea. But most parents of pet children are the same way. Gifts for pets, whether you're gifting the actual pet him/herself or the parents of said pet, are rampant at pet stores and regular stores everywhere, but with all things, I tend to find a gift of the homemade variety not only says "I woof you" but "I'm really thinking of you and caring for you."
Here are my best homemade pet gift ideas:
- A bed or soft place to land
Here's what you need:
*a note: if you are a regular crafter, you should have most, if not, all of these items on hand - I didn't have to buy anything for this project, which is one reason why it's so great!
- Orange felt
- Green felt
- Orange embroidery floss
- Green embroidery floss
- Embroidery hoop
- Sharpie marker
- A knitting needle (or other object in which to stuff the toy with fiberfill and catnip)
- Pinking shears
- Create your design on a piece of paper, just to give yourself an idea of the size you would like to make the carrot (or any other fruit, vegetable, shape, object, etc.).
- On the felt, eyeballing it, draw the design (I drew the triangle part of the carrot). Be sure to draw this bigger, using the Sharpie marker, than you plan to make it so the black Sharpie marker lines aren't on the actual toy itself.
- Take two pieces of orange felt and lay them on top of each other. Sew the two pieces together, using the embroidery hoop, in the design you desire. Be sure to leave an opening so you can stuff the toy with fiberfill and catnip.
- Once most of it is sewed, take the fiberfill, catnip, and the stick-like object (such as a knitting needle), and stuff the toy.
- Then, sew the opening closed.
- Cut the carrot to size and pinking shear the edges.
- With the green felt, cut two pieces that will fit at the top of the carrot toy. Sew the green bit to the orange carrot. Pinking shear the edges and the green lengthwise at the top a bit so it looks like the green top of a carrot.
- Give toy to cat and watch him/her go bananas (or should I say carrots!).
|Yummy cat treats!|
|That looks like a good resting spot.|