This recipe didn't turn out anything like I thought it would, but that's not a bad thing. The only thing is it doesn't end up tasting much like pizza. Looks must count more than taste in Family Circle, where this recipe originated (even though we got it out of our Recipes.com magazine).
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 oz (1 packet) spaghetti sauce mix
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook ground beef over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Drain off fat from ground beef.
- Stir in onion, garlic, green pepper, oregano, spaghetti sauce mix, tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup water.
- Stir until boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the beef mixture is simmering, combine the milk, eggs, and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and salt and mix for another 2 minutes.
- When the beef mixture is done simmering, put it in a 3 quart baking dish.
- Put the mozzarella over the beef.
- Put the egg/milk mixture over the mozzarella.
- Put the Parmesan on top of the egg/milk mixture and finally top with pepperoni slices.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
NOTE: Do not put this on the top rack of your oven, and if your racks are close together, you may want to remove any rack near the top of the casserole dish. I'll just tell you that it doesn't have the name pop-up for no reason.