Saturday, August 20, 2011

This Book Room: only 2 books!!

Well, this week in books was very, very low. Somehow, I am still actually on my reading schedule (check out this week's goals here), but that's only if I finish two books today. So we'll see how it goes! Here's the books I read this week:

At the request of her readers, Kim Roby is giving another airing to one of her most popular characters, Curtis Black, who was introduced in Casting the First Stone and who continued his escapades in Too Much of a Good Thing. Kim Roby's readers can't get enough of the Reverend Curtis Black, that self–justifying, greedy, womanizing flimflam man who is one of the biggest rascals ever to step into a church. In this outing, Curtis is starting over. He has a new job and a new wife, and of course he's convinced himself that this time he'll be good. But Curtis hasn't ever made a promise he could keep, and before long, he's up to his old tricks. The difference now is his third wife. She's unlike any woman Curtis has met before. And for the first time in his life, Curtis just might have met his match. Watch the sparks fly!

Additional notes: This is the third book in the Reverend Curtis Black series. You can read my view of the second book here. This series is ongoing.

My thoughts: I really enjoy this series, but the people in these books are craaaazy! The writing is a little bland, at times, but the characters really draw the reader in. I would recommend reading the first book, then seeing if you like it. This series should be read in order.

For a mother, life comes down to a series of choices.
To hold on…
To let go..
To forget…
To forgive…
Which road will you take?
For eighteen years, Jude Farraday has put her children’s needs above her own, and it shows—her twins, Mia and Zach—are bright and happy teenagers. When Lexi Baill moves into their small, close knit community, no one is more welcoming than Jude. Lexi, a former foster child with a dark past, quickly becomes Mia’s best friend. Then Zach falls in love with Lexi and the three become inseparable.

Jude does everything to keep her kids safe and on track for college. It has always been easy-- until senior year of high school. Suddenly she is at a loss. Nothing feels safe anymore; every time her kids leave the house, she worries about them.

On a hot summer’s night her worst fears come true. One decision will change the course of their lives. In the blink of an eye, the Farraday family will be torn apart and Lexi will lose everything. In the years that follow, each must face the consequences of that single night and find a way to forget…or the courage to forgive.

NIGHT ROAD is vivid, emotionally complex novel that raises profound questions about motherhood, identity, love, and forgiveness. It is a luminous, heartbreaking novel that captures both the exquisite pain of loss and the stunning power of hope. This is Kristin Hannah at her very best, telling an unforgettable story about the longing for family, the resilience of the human heart, and the courage it takes to forgive the people we love.

My thoughts: I don't like all of Kristin's books - Firefly Lane is still my favorite (although this wasn't the first book I read by her), but this book is my second favorite. I didn't love all the characters in this book, but I think that was kind of the point. The story arc was great, and even though I didn't love the characters, like I said before, I identified with them all. Two thumbs up for this book!

No comments: