Crockpot cooking is always a favorite of mine. This way, you can take a trip to the local blueberry patch and make dinner at the same time (true story). This meal is super cheap and calorie friendly (makes 6 servings at about 175 calories per serving). This meal has officially entered into the "have often" category at our house.
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- 5 cups water
- 28 oz chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- Rinse beans.
- In a dutch oven combine the water and pinto beans.
- Bring the beans to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 60 minutes.
- This is a great time to dice and mince if you haven't done so yet.
- When 60 minutes is up, dump out the bean water and rinse them off.
- In a 4 quart crockpot combine all ingredients other than the tomatoes.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (9 hrs worked great for us).
- Once the day has passed, mix in the tomatoes and cook, covered, on low for 30 more minutes.
- Be super careful when serving as it is hot.