- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 head of broccoli
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Put water and rice into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Cook the chicken on the grill for 7 minutes on a side.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Chop the chicken into small chunks, about 1/4 in. cubes.
- Chop the broccoli into pieces similar in size to the chicken and put into a second saucepan.
- Cover the broccoli with water.
- When the rice has about 15 minutes remaining, put the broccoli on high heat.
- Remove the broccoli from heat and drain once it has boiled for 5 minutes.
- Once rice has cooked for 40 minutes, remove it from heat and fluff it with a fork.
- I fluff the rice more to see if all the water has cooked into the rice. If, when fluffing, you see water on the bottom of the pan, recover the rice, return it to the heat and cook it for 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, and serve warm. (Makes 4 servings)