Sunday, June 12, 2011

God Talk: Crazy Love

I read Crazy Love by Francis Chan this week. I hadn't really heard anything about the book, but the subtitle (Overwhelmed by a Relentless God) grabbed me. Francis seemed really sincere and down-to-earth, and I have found that is quite rare in a Christian self-helpish type book.

It also didn't hurt that some of what Francis focused on are the very issues I find myself struggling with every day. Issues like being truly humble and giving all, literally all, the glory to God. Has someone ever complimented you and you walked away, feeling prideful of yourself? Gah, I don't know how many times that has happened to me, and I hate it. I really hate it. Instead of being proud of myself, I should, and try, to give the glory of whatever was said to me to God. Pride is a sin I seriously have issues with.

Francis also reminded me that serving God isn't a convenient or easy choice all the time. It's easy, in theory, to think that I'm giving all I have to Him, but really, I know that's not true. How much do I try to keep for myself? Not just money, but time, energy, other kinds of resources. God wants all of what I have. Francis points out that most people struggle with this because of trust issues - and that is true for me, too. I trust God, but to what extent? Do I trust Him to care for my needs each day, or do I attempt to store up treasures on earth (such as money to tide me over in retirement), not trusting that He can take care of me? Not that I necessarily think I shouldn't have a retirement account, but I can't serve two masters, and I know I sometimes let money get the best of me.

The most important take-away from this book, for me, was the thought that if God came back right now, this very second, would He be smiling at what I'm doing? Francis shared a story of a time he went to a play with his wife, his mother-in-law and other relatives. During a break in the play, he leaned over and asked his MIL if she was enjoying the play. She said (paraphrase), "I don't really want to be here right now." When Francis asked why, she said she didn't want God to come back that very moment and see her at a play, wiling away the hours, when she could have been on her knees, as she spends each morning, praising Him and spending time with Him.

That struck me. Hard. I can think of many times now in my past that I definitely wouldn't have wanted God to pick that moment to come to Earth. God knows everything I do, think and feel, and still, I would want God to come back and witness me praising His name instead of wiling away the hours, doing something that in no way praises Him or spreads His word and name. 

This book was thought-provoking, sincere and humbling. I am thankful I read it, and that it resonated with me. If you read it or have read it, please share with me what you think of this!

2 comments:

Kris said...

I haven't finished this book, but I definitely have enjoyed it a lot too! Francis Chan is an amazing speaker, and I will definitely admit his humility is what draws me to what he has to say..

You should check out Mark Batterson too!
~K

Jess and Jason said...

I will definitely check out that author. Thanks for the rec :) And without sounding stalkerish (I hope!), I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing YOU with all of us!