Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

We start with a picture of the finished product to get you interested!















The directions are super simple and it cooks up just as fast as the instant stuff does. (And you don't need to use your microwave!)

The Ingredients















6 Cups - Oatmeal
1 1/3 Cups - Dry Milk
1 Cup - Raisins
1/4 Cup - Sugar
1/4 Cup - Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp - Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp - Salt
1/4 Tsp - Ground Cloves

The Instructions
Gather and mix all ingredients in an airtight container.
(It should look something like this)















When you would like to eat some, measure 1/2 cup water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 1/2 cup of the oatmeal mixture. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Let it stand for 1-2 minutes to cool. Eat.

Because I love food, I make myself a double batch right away (1 cup water and 1 cup oat mix) and it doesn't require any extra cooking or cooling. One regular serving has about 165 calories. I hope you try and enjoy this fantastical breakfast treat.

-Chef Jason

2 comments:

Aunt Laura said...

That's really clever, Jason. I'll bet it tastes a lot better than the packaged stuff, not to mention how much less expensive it is.

Jess and Jason said...

It tastes so good. I hate plain oatmeal, and pre-packaged oatmeal is expensive and full of preservatives. I eat this for breakfast nearly every day. :) I'm glad you're enjoying our blog - xoxo, Jess