5 lbs very lean beef (trimmed of fat and cut into strips)
3 tbsp + 1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Spread beef strips on cookie sheets.
- Season the beef strips with 1/2 of the seasonings.
- Flip the beef and season with remaining seasonings.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cook the meat until it is completely dried, about 6 hours (longer if your strips are bigger) turning every 90 minutes or so.
If you plan on storing it (as I can't imagine anyone eating over 2 lbs of jerky in one day), it goes in the refrigerator in an air tight container and will last up to a month.