Sunday, May 29, 2011

God Talk: Giving "Enough"

We spent the evening with family last night, and it was so wonderful to spend some time with little ones and play and just revel in their childness. While at dinner, a relative asked us about what we were doing for church now - we recently moved to Fenton from Ypsi and as such, left behind our beloved church. We honestly said that we had attended one service at a church in Fenton (there are two Lutheran churches in Fenton), but had found it somewhat lacking.

In any move where you're technically relocating, it can be really hard to give up past relationships - I still see my same esthetician for all my waxing needs. I've built a professional relationship with her over the last few years, and I don't really want to invest the time and have to rebuild the trust with someone else.

So why wouldn't the same hold true for a pastor and his congregation? I miss our church family - Pastor Dave, Miss Patty, Miss Pam, and all of the tots who gave me hugs or drew pictures for our fridge.

Just as Joyce Meyer would say that watching her television show "isn't enough," the same holds true for attending a church service, in my humble opinion. I think each person should decide what is "enough" for them as a Christian, then give a little more. I don't think I'm at my "enough" - and maybe that's just because I want to challenge myself to the next level every day. But I'm doing the best I can right now, and right now, that's going to have to be "enough."

I can look in the mirror and feel okay with what I'm putting out there in the world. I'm cultivating relationships with family, with friends. I'm working full-time and giving all of my work self to my work. I'm being a wife and a pet parent and spending all of my personal free time with them as much as I can. Sometimes, being a Christian isn't just in what you do, it's in what you don't do. It's about not judging. It's about not looking the other way.

I have a long way to go with God, and I know it's just the beginning. My life here is just a blip, but while I'm here, I'm going to serve God and give everything I have to His cause - loving others.

"Love one another." -John 13:34

No comments: