Thursday, March 19, 2009

Paint 101

Hi all! It's been quite a while! One reason is because Jason and I are redoing our living room, and it's been more of a project than I even thought it would be.

The whole thing kind of started because we have blue carpet. Then, it kind of escalated into a full-out project and war. Needless to say, we have now repainted our living room and are awaiting our new carpet!

Jason and I painted together once before, and I have to say it did not go well. We had no idea what we were doing and since we wanted this place to really look amazing, we chose to fully immerse ourselves in learning about paint and painting.

Learning about paint was fairly easy since Benjamin Moore is one of STN's clients. I read about paint all day long! While Benjamin Moore is only one brand of paint, I felt confident that Benjamin Moore Aura was the best paint to use (at the time of this blog, though, Natura is their newest paint and probably better). Aura has low VOCs which means it has little to no smell. I remember when Jason and I painted together, it felt like we were dying because all we could smell were paint fumes.

Aura also dries quickly which was important. We live in a small space, and we didn't want to keep Preston cooped up for hours. We also were enlisting my parents to help, and we didn't want them to have to spend all day here.

It's fairly expensive as far as paints go, but it's also a self-primer! We did a lot of spackling, and Aura worked perfectly. The color is consistent everywhere (we also primed, but that's a whole other story). For newly constructed walls, they must be primed so I would absolutely tell anyone with newly constructed walls to buy Aura to save time and money from buying primer.

So after all of that, Jason and I were certainly anxious to try using Aura paint. It exceeded my expectations. There was very little paint smell, and by little, I truly mean little. We couldn't smell it at all until the second coat of paint. And only then, it was very subtle. The paint was dry in about 45 minutes, and after two coats, the walls looked amazing.

Later this week, I'll post on how to paint properly! But I hope everyone considers Aura since it is not only environmentally friendly (low VOCs) but economically friendly, too. Having to paint less and prime less is a great thing for the environment and your wallet :)

No comments: