Friday, March 20, 2009

How Simple is the Dollar?

Hi guys! My local channels have been out for some time and as a reuslt, I've been watching a lot of DVDs and a lot of cable shows I've never seen before.

One such show I'm completely in love with is 18 Kids and Counting. It's likely most of you have heard about this family - Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar from Arkansas who just gave birth to their 18th child!

One show I saw within the last couple of weeks as how the family lives and survives financially. Can you imagine a grocery bill for 20 people? The family reportedly spends about $3,000 a month on groceries alone. Good gracious!

One thing the Duggar family does to save on money is make their own laundry detergent. I was able to watch a couple of the Duggar girls do this and I've been thinking about it ever since then. Today, I googled making laundry detergent and found a recipe that is extremely similar, if not identical.

Please visit The Simple Dollar web site and this link in particular to view the recipe and how to make your own laundry detergent:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

Please note the cost of ingredients and how many gallons/cups the entire ingredients would make. I went to Sam's today and perhaps unfortunately bought a huge bottle of Tide.
However, while I was there, I also checked out the bars of soap. I don't remember the exact prices to the number of bars, but they were really cheap and probably an even better deal than that guy got!

I think making laundry detergent would be a great way to not only save on costs, but take an active role in your life. How much more fulfilling laundry could be knowing that you yourself produced the very detergent you're making. I'm very excited to try this out, although like I said, I just bought Tide today so it's likely that I won't need to make any for quite some time!

No comments: