Saturday, February 21, 2009

Garlic Tricks and Tips


Garlic is a wonderful way to season food, but it is, in my opinion, one of the hardest foods to work with. I've learned a couple of things along the way that has helped to make adding garlic to my food even easier than before.


To get the garlic's skin off, put the garlic in the microwave for 10 - 20 seconds. I'm not sure why, but something, the heat I guess, makes the garlic's skin come off easier.


Once the skin is off, it's time to slice it and dice it. That can often leave your fingers smelling like garlic for quite some time, plus, it can be quite hard to dice it. I use Chef'n Garlic Zoom. I take one clove, cut it in half, and put one half in the zoom. I roll it around on my counter and when it is diced, I add another half clove. I continue until all of the cloves I need are diced. It is super easy to use and can be found at a number of stores. Bed, Bath, and Beyond sells it for $9.99 (a small price to pay if you use garlic weekly), but if you have any BBB 20% coupon (often comes in newspapers or in the mail), you can use that to save $2. BBB takes coupons even if they're expired so save them all and use them whenever you need something - like the garlic zoom!

Here's a link to the item on BBB's web site:

With these two tips, garlic will be easier to use so you can use it more often. And really, that just translates to even better food!
Happy zooming!

No comments: