Sunday, January 18, 2009

Entering into the Unknown


Hi all! I was going to post a recipe for a new soup Jason and I tried yesterday. We both thought it tasted great and while I suffered no ill side effects, it made Jason incredibly ill all night. There's proof that Jason and I test each thing we're going to do before bringing to to you!


I made a banana cake tonight (that has to be refrigerated overnight), but if all goes as planned, that might be tomorrow's recipe.


So in lieu of a regular post, I figured I'd enlighten you all on a few things Jason and I are currently working on.


Jason and I both working on strengthening our relationship by reading and participating in "The Love Dare." A movie has come out that is based on the book, "Fireproof," which is how I first heard about the book. I have yet to see the movie, but Kirk Cameron, devout Christian and actor on Fireproof, was on Dr. Phil and that's how I heard about it. We're on day three so far which is that we can't say anything negative to one another and we have to each buy the other something that says, "I was thinking about you today." We each have until tomorrow night to fulfill the dare! The book has been awesome so far, and I think Jason and I are both enjoying the experience.


Jason has recently started to cross stitch! He's working on a piece for someone for Christmas, and he's doing very well! He's interested in trying a sampler soon, and he wants to eventually be able to count cross stitch. There are some amazing kits out there, but I think eventually he'll probably want to design his own creations. Jason has plans to cross stitch designs for wall hangings and onesies for babies.


I've been working on knitting! Before this year, I had never knit. I took a class and learned though, and I'm so glad I did! I'm currently working on a scarf for my mom and dad for Christmas (if you can't tell, practically everyone is getting homemade gifts this year so we're starting now to ensure we have enough time!). I'm making my dad's scarf out of Lion Brand Wool Ease yarn, and I'm making my mom's out of Sensations Angel Hair yarn. The yarn is gorgeous, as you can see in the picture, but it is quite difficult to use. I have a lot of split stitches, but because of the way the yarn is crafted, you can't tell at all. It's very strange yarn, but I love it so much and will be very anxious to make a scarf for myself out of this yarn later this year when I'm done with everyone else's items.


I also dabble in other crafts, including wreaths, jewelry, ornaments, etc. As I make items, I'll post them on here if they were successful. If an item was not successful, I'll at least have an antecdote to share with you all!


Through my mom, a generous neighbor of hers, and myself, I typically have several lifestyle and cooking magazines each month. I'm working on my recipe card collection, and each month, Jason and I try several new recipes. I grew up in a household where there were seven (or so) meals my mother made and that was it. There wasn't a lot of variety, and a lot of the food wasn't really homemade. My mom would make hot dogs and Kraft mac and cheese, and that would be a meal. Jason and I have thrown some recipes away after making the food (like last night's recipe) and have modified some. As we make our regular staples (veggie stroganoff, for example) and new dishes (banana split cake, for example), we'll be sharing our faves with you.


As we live our lives, we'll share with you what new experiences we have and what new ideas we come across. We're excited to finally have a forum to share our ideas with everyone, and we certainly hope you enjoy reading about our adventures as much as we enjoy sharing them.

1 comment:

Erika Piquant said...

I hope Jason feels better!